Friday, 8 January 2010

Two New French

For Christmas, I received some GW washes and white undercoat, with which to work out a new style of painting that better fits the fiddlyness of Napoleonic uniforms, and I think I've almost cracked it. I hope you agree!

The first miniature I painted was a fusilier, using the blue wash for his coat colour. I'm not unhappy with it, but the sergeant has a better colour which is a first wash of a thinned-down humbrol blue and then the blue wash over the top for shading.

The whites are now done with the sepia wash straight over the undercoat, then hilighted with white. It gives sufficient shading whilst looking a little bit grubby in the process. I want to strike a balance between parade-ground and the full raggle-taggle nature of the reality, and this does it for me.

The fusilier sergeant is much the same, composed out of a voltigeur/grenadier body with fusilier arms and head. I'm not sure if I got the slashes correct, I have a feeling they should have been lower down. The sword & bayonet belt also needs some black.

You may have noticed that all of my line so far have had the orange pom-poms of the third company. Because I plan on doing skirmishing actions I want enough from a single company to be believable. I settled on the third company because I like orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment